Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Psalm 6 A Prayer of Desperation


Psalm 6
1. O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger, Nor chasten me in Your wrath.
2. Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I {am} pining away; Heal me, O LORD, for my bones are dismayed.
3. And my soul is greatly dismayed; But You, O LORD--how long?
4. Return, O LORD, rescue my soul; Save me because of Your lovingkindness.
5. For there is no mention of You in death; In Sheol who will give You thanks?
6. I am weary with my sighing; Every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears.
Ps 6:7 My eye has wasted away with grief; It has become old because of all my adversaries.
Ps 6:8  Depart from me, all you who do iniquity, For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping.
9. The LORD has heard my supplication, The LORD receives my prayer.
10. All my enemies will be ashamed and greatly dismayed; They shall turn back, they will suddenly be ashamed.
Did you repent and believe that Jesus saves you? That gave relief and joy and gladness and it was pleasing to God. But it was not pleasing to those around you who are still rebelling against God, it angered them even that you believed there is a God. So they are doing everything they can to get you back into their old sinful ways and you are beginning to doubt?

In Psalm 6 David talks about having the same experience and at the same time he is either sick or injured seemingly unable to help himself, so he feels that God is punishing him for his sins. But he prays for God to save his soul and for health, also that those who want to do harm to his faith will be ashamed and dismayed. So ashamed of their own sin that they will repent or turn back. They may do this for again it is their choice.

And it does make a difference both now and for Eternity

Repent and believe the gospel